Thursday, February 17, 2011

The day has arrived....

It has been a couple of years since I have been back to Taekwondo training... this "started" as a forced break due to injuring my foot.
My confidence of being able to fully use my foot and trust it 100% again took nearly 12 months to overcome.

On getting ready to return to training, I had a nasty accident and broke the very same bone in my foot AGAIN. This caused me a further 18 weeks in plaster, and then a brace to allow my foot to heal. Surgery was on the cards for many months during the recovery, as the bone was split lengthways from end to end.

More delays, discomfort and pain. The foot was quite uncomfortable for 9 months, and training was totally off the cards.

Fast forward to my first training session in over 2 years. I prepared during the day by eating fish, rice and pasta. I also loaded up on about 1L of water in the 3 hours leading up to going.

We only live about 5km from the training hall, so my wife and I had a nice brisk walk.

It was so great being back, and I am fully committed to grading at the end of the year. It is going to be a fairly intensive year.

We started a light warmup, followed by some floor work, full extension of all joints and limbs to ensure a full range of movement.

We moved onto some extension kicking, and line work moving up and down the hall, blocking and punching.

It was a very humid night, and I finished off consuming 1.5L of water.

We cooled down by doing self defence work with partner, the person I worked with is a nuggety ex boxer who is also a black belt, and quite a lot of fun to work with.

I am writing this Friday night, two days after training.... and I have pulled up pretty well. My arms are a little tender, my legs were very stiff this morning. So I am now going to sit in front of the TV for 20 minutes and stretch out.

Enjoy your weekend..... next training session is Monday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment