Friday, January 14, 2011

A hard pill to swallow.... Carpe Ovo

Here I am again, just a quick update on my "special vitamin tablet" that I enjoy taking more than any other pill.

Chicken Eggs! OMG, If I could eat 6 eggs a day I would. I cooked some runny centre poached eggs for breakfast on grain bread, and I can honestly say that the meal sustained me for about 7 hours.

Wikipedia: "Eggs laid by females of many different species, including birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fish, have been eaten by mankind for millennia. Bird and reptile eggs consist of a protective eggshell, albumen (egg white), and vitellus (egg yolk), contained within various thin membranes."

Egg yolks and whole eggs store a lot of protein and choline. For this reason, the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) categorizes eggs as Meats within the Food Guide Pyramid.

Chicken eggs are the most commonly eaten eggs. They supply all essential amino acids for humans,and provide several vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, riboflavin (vitamin B2), folic acid (vitamin B9), vitamin B6, vitamin B12, choline, iron, calcium, phosphorus and potassium. They are also an single-food source of protein.

A large yolk contains more than two-thirds of the recommended daily intake of 300 mg of cholesterol (although one study indicates that the human body may not absorb much cholesterol from eggs)."

Carpe Ovo (Latin: Seize the egg)

No comments:

Post a Comment