Saturday, January 8, 2011

Putting the wrong fuel in the tank

It's funny, but I am very particular about what fuel I put in our cars. The Subaru ONLY gets 98RON, and the Cruiser ONLY gets 91RON, and I take particular care that I don't accidently put diesel in it. Arghhhh!

Now for those of you who do not realise, a car will also run on a large number of other fuels, solvents and chemicals. A petrol vehicle will "run" on Kerosene, Aviation fuel, X55 cleaning solvent just to name a few. A diesel vehicle will run on chip oil, olive oil and other waste oils.
These fuels will eventually decrease the life expectancy of the engine.

My body will also run on a large number of fuels, taking energy derived from carbohydrates, fiber, fats, proteins, organic acids, polyols, and ethanol. These all release energy during respiration, this is often called 'food energy'.

Now the types of fuel that I have been putting into my body, could literally destroy my engine beyond repair.

Why do I let this happen? I do not dream of doing it to my car, and that can easily be repaired!

For the next few months I am going to endeavor to carefully monitor the types and quantity of fuel that I put into MY tank.

Unlike our cars that I cannot overfill with fuel, I know that my body will very easily convert unused sugar / carbohydrates into fat. My body does find it a lot more difficult to process protein, so I will more than likely be eating more lean meats, fish, eggs and legumes.

I discover the secret to weight loss, that many people seem to not understand.

"You have to burn more energy than you consume" <- That is it, there is nothing more to it. Accept this weight loss FACT and live it. Eat what you like, but be prepared to ALWAYS burn energy more than you put in.

I have been conscious of doing this for the past 5 days, and I have dropped 3Kg.

I have also changed my mantra from;

1. "I want to go back to Taekwondo" to "I am returning to Taekwondo in February"
2. "I want to lose 25Kg by Christmas" to "I HAVE to look after my engine"
3. "I am too fat to do X" to "I am so looking forward to doing X soon"
4. "You cannot eat X, it will make you fat" to "Is this the best fuel to put in my tank?"
5. "Geez I look fat in these clothes" to "I am looking forward to replacing my wardrobe"

If I don't look after myself, how can I help look after someone else?

I have not had to make major changes to my thinking to effect these changes.... I have not even been exercising. I am so looking forward to being healthier and more active in the near future.

Simple steps, small steps..... necessary steps.

2 comments:

  1. Good one Steve. I am just sitting here researching juicing, green smoothies & "raw plant based" diets. We really do need to be more conscious about what we put in our mouths, not only for weight issues but also for our general wellbeing, energy levels etc. Looking forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete